Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Power of Christ in Me

Today I spent 2 1/2 hours at praise band practice. We finally got our new song for Sunday nailed down. Steven Curtis Chapman's song, "Magnificent Obsession". It goes well with the sermon.

I tried simplify it for the band last night without us having to use the full 8 page arrangment.

But, as only SCC can do...it starts in E flat, is capo-ed, changes keys in the chorus, and has a "break"noone could figure out.

We cut his whoel "rap" break segment. I doesn't go with the song's message well enough to do in worship where we wanted it.

So, finally, we decided to get the 8 page musical score (guitarists LOVE more than 2 pages), and I lovingly whacked it down, got words, and chorded it down for them. I'm so good to my friends.

Now, they can come fold socks for me.

After that, I hung out today while I had childcare to find good string sounds on the keyboard. Looked 3 1/2 hours at orchestration for only two of the song! Just sorting scores takes a while. A lot of bulk. Our upcoming Easter Cantada is The Power of Christ in Me by Karla Worley and Robert Sterling. It will be a great worship event. Strong music. We're taking a break from the whole drama-story-production thing this year. I'm sure we'll rev back up when we get in the new building.

I've never done the string parts live for a cantada. It will be fun to try someting new. I have my work cut out for me!

I worked two hours solid on the first four pages (which I think take all of a minute of the entirety.)

I love doing it, but you'd have to! Musicians, artists, we have to all be nuts. People get PAID for working this hard!

But, of course, our crown in heaven.

(They may have to do my ironing, too.)

Me
Purpose Driven Blog

0 Grapes: